Learn Sanskrit Grammar
Sanskrit is the classical language of India. Sanskrit is also the language of the Vedas, the foundation of Sanatana Dharma, that dates back more than five thousand years. The classical period of the language from around fifth century BCE onwards saw a vast and varied literary tradition flourish in every genre, from epics and poetry, to scientific treatises on astronomy architecture, medicine, law and linguistics as well as philosophical and religious texts of the Hindu, Buddhist and Jain traditions.
This two-semester elementary Sanskrit course begins with the Devanagari script and the structure of the classical Sanskrit. The object of the course is to develop a reading ability in the classical language. By the end of the second semester, students begin reading a section of the epics Ramayana, Mahabharata, including the Bhagavad Gita, sections from Yoga Sutra and Niti Sutras, and stories from the Hitopadesha and Panchatantra. They will be exposed to extracts from Sanskrit Kavyas and other literary and scientific works such as Arthasastra, Ayurveda (Charaka Samhita), Natya-Sastra, Sangeeta-Sastra.
During the first semester, students will be introduced to the script, phonetics, and grammar of the Sanskrit language. After completing the grammar structure from the course material, students will be able to begin to read Sanskrit texts and compose Sanskrit sentences in addition to carrying out simple conversation. Students will also acquire the skills to read Sanskrit Dictionaries and other reference books.
By the second semester, they will build the requisite skills to read simple inscriptions and sections from texts like the Ramayana, the Mahabharata, the Bhagavad Gita, Pancatantra, Yoga Sutra, Natya Sastra, Sangeeta Sastra and Artha Sastra.
COURSE Objectives / Rewards
- To gain an understanding of sentence constructs; identify the etymology (derivation of words form basic constructs and roots) of words; and to comprehend grammar of Sanskrit prose and verses.
- At the end of the course, the attendees are expected to read Sanskrit text, break sandhis and understand the meaning of Verses from Bhagavad-gita, Valmiki Ramayana and other Texts
- Gain ability to email in Devanagari and in other Indian languages
- Students will gain a deeper understanding of the scientific nature of Sanskrit Grammar as introduced by Sage Panini.
Dr. V. Rajarao Bandaru, a renowned scholar and indologist, has published and lectured extensively in the areas of Indic studies, Telugu Literature, biomedical engineering, control systems, telecommunications, and management science. He has received several awards and honors in his educational and professional career including the title of Veda Vidya Rakshak by the World Association of Vedic Studies (WAVES) in 2006.
Dr. Bandaru has a BE with Honors, MTech (IIT Kharagpur) and PhD (IIT Delhi) a professional diploma in Accounting and Finance (England) and a Fellowship of Royal Statistical Society, England. He has been on the faculty at IIT Kharagpur and Delhi before moving to England. Dr. Bandaru is the founder of Trinity Consultants Inc., a New Jersey based telecommunications management consulting and systems integration company.
Dr. Bandaru is the Hindu Chaplain at the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and University Medical Center of Princeton. He also teaches Sanskrit at the Rutgers University, USA. Dr. Bandaru has authored five books on Sanskrit Grammar and a book on Sanatana Dharma & Prayer. He represents Hinduism at Interfaith meetings and is keenly involved in the development of youth and community services.
Born in Ramayapatnam, a coastal town in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India, Dr Bandaru currently lives in New Jersey, USA, with his family. He is active in community affairs, cultural and literary events.
View Sample Lesson
- Although there are no formal prerequisites to attend the course, familiarity with the Devanagari Alphabet and basic reading ability would be very helpful, though not essential..
- Recommended to have studied the Easy Sanskrit Course by CIF
- It is expected that the attendees will have knowledge of grammar of English or at least one of the Indian languages. The material to meet the pre-requisites will be covered in the first three classes for those who do not meet these pre-requisites.
- Primary requirements are Interest in the language and time to study.
Course DonationClick here for donation.
The Vedic Mathematics Course is available in Online and Postal Modes. Contact Classes can be added to Online and Postal Modes. Students can select one of the modes as convenient to them.
In Online Mode the lessons are downloaded from website and answers are also given online. Evaluation, grades are also Online. In Postal Mode the lessons will be sent by post, the answers need to be sent again by post. Grades can be viewed online